Allen Memorial Auditorium: Historic Rehabilitation & Additions
SITKA FINE ARTS CAMP
A study of the structural condition and feasibility of adaptive reuse was prepared in 1995 for a local preservation group to encourage renovation of the historic heavy timber structure that is the centerpiece of the Sheldon Jackson College campus designed in 1910. The study and associated cost estimate led to funding for restoration of this important building. The project, partially completed by the College, was envisioned as an Arts Center for the campus and included restoration of the original building for auditorium, classroom, and office uses for which it was originally designed, as well as two additions.
An addition to the north provides an area for an enlarged stage and theater support spaces within the 300 seat theater, and an addition to the east houses a new two-story lobby and support spaces such as restrooms, an elevator, and mechanical. After the closing of the College, the Sitka Fine Arts Camp took ownership of the campus. The renovation of Allen Auditorium is nearly complete, and a serves as a focus for the Arts Camp with a multi-use theatre and performance space with seating for up to 300, dance and art studios, lobby and reception areas, and staff offices. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places, and all work has met the National Park Standards to maintain this status.